Church of the Holy Apostles, a family-sized Episcopal parish in the Diocese of Pennsylvania, seeks a quarter-time (approx. 10 hour a week) salaried Music Director to lead us in the worship of Almighty God through music. We love Jesus and our neighborhood, and the successful candidate will be able to leverage our music program to support these primary commitments.
Nestled in the Penn Wynne section of Wynnewood, PA, just a mile west of Philadelphia, Holy Apostles is a friendly, inclusive parish church. Currently we have an all-volunteer choir of 6-8 members who typically sing for our Parish Eucharist each Sunday from the second week of September to the second of week of June. The choir rehearses immediately preceding the Sunday service from 9am-9:50am. Our instruments include an Allen Renaissance digital organ and three baby grand pianos, located in the choir room, parish hall, and church nave. The spacious choir room includes a music director’s work space and an extensive music library.
Our music is typically selected from the 1982 Hymnal of the Episcopal Church and Lift Every Voice and Sing II hymnal. Our choir typically performs an anthem from a repertoire that is largely classical. The successful candidate will help us grow our repertoire and musical sensibilities in realistic, sustainable, and authentic ways.
Penn Wynne is a beautiful, quiet neighborhood in the western suburbs of Philadelphia. The church is located next to Wynnewood Valley Park and is three blocks from the Norristown High Speed Line-Penfield Station.
- Help choose music appropriate to the weekly 10am Sunday liturgy and to the skill level of the volunteer choir. This process is usually a collaboration with the Rector.
- 3-4 hymns from sources
- 1 choir anthem sung at the Offertory (during choir season)
- Organ prelude and postlude (as appropriate)
- Lead a 1-hour a week choir rehearsal during choir season.
- Play organ for the 10am Sunday service (full year) and direct choir during the choir season.
- Provide instrumental and choir leadership for the following additional special services:
- Christmas Eve
- Maundy Thursday
- Good Friday
- Easter Vigil (Saturday night before Easter Day)
- Thanksgiving Eve
- 1-2 additional special evening occasions per year
- Instrumental practice time sufficient for fulfilling liturgical duties.
- Help to coordinate special music in collaboration with Rector, Good News Chairperson and Parish Administrator
- Christmas Eve instrumentalist
- Occasional concerts highlighting neighborhood connections and evangelism.
- Maintain our music licensing responsibilities
- Attend a 20-30 minute weekly staff meeting planning meeting, either in person or on Zoom.
- Maintain church’s music library, including filing music and ordering new music.
- In conjunction with Parish Administrator, coordinate maintenance and tuning of organ and pianos.
- Collaborative: able to work effectively with volunteers, church staff, and neighbors.
- Self-starting and creative: willing to look for and pursue creative ways to improve the church music program.
- Knowledgeable/teachable: serious about church music in general and either familiar with Episcopal/Anglican liturgy or willing to learn.
- Experienced: choral singing and conducting experience preferred.
- Salary Range: $14k – $17k a year.
- 4 Weeks a year paid vacation (to be scheduled in consultation with Rector, not during busy times of year); sick leave not to exceed 4 Sundays.
- First right of refusal for playing funerals and weddings at the parish (separate compensation of $250 per event).
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to the Rev. James Stambaugh at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or mail to:
Church of the Holy Apostles
1020 Remington Rd.
Wynnewood, PA 19096